Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Castello di Amorosa: Creating Beauty of Medieval

I now fell into a regular routine of wine tasting life, which was recently varied beyond just tasting wines. I may mention at once that visiting the Castello di Amorosa (Castle of Love) was a very special cultural event to me. The April weather was delicious. The sky was blue. The stone walls and towers were soaring high over the green lawns, over the cheering crowds, over the lazy fat sheep, over the exotic Indian peafowl. The Castle was more beautiful and peaceful that I thought it would be. 

Determined to build his own Tuscan Castello in the Napa Valley authentic in every way, Dario Sattui used only old, hand-made materials and employed the same methods and techniques that would have been used some 800 years ago. It was interesting to be in the strangely real medieval Castle in the heart of California Wine Country, and imaging the pictures of the life that I would never lead. Where was a light melancholy wind around the Castle, which awakened a tender emotions in me. I felt as if the time stopped in that mysterious place, and, while I and everybody else inside and outside the Castle were still modern, the Castle itself stood in the middle ages.

With regards to the winemaking, The Castello di Amorosa specializes in producing small lots of high quality wines. My favorites are 2013 Pinot Noir, Terra de Promissio (delicious bouquet of cherry with a hint of black tea) and (of course, конечно, naturalmente) 2012 "Zingaro" Old Vine Zinfandel, Russian River Valley. I love the Old Vine Zinfandel wines from Russian River Valley vineyards!


















No comments:

Post a Comment